Friday, April 22, 2005

Evil People

There are evil people in the world. I firmly believe this, and it's evidenced every day. You will notice on my blog that one of these evil people has appeared. How can we tell this person is evil?

1. The posts were anonymous.
2. The posts were unkind and out of context.
3. The posts were presumptuous, at best.

I allow comments on my blog because I would hope for intelligent discourse, not drivel from someone hiding behind the moniker of anonymous. Still, wheat does have chaff, and one has to expect it while harvesting.

I can't delete the comments, blogger doesn't let me. I wouldn't even if I could. They demonstrate the type of person that any of us who dare to try to do some good in public (write a book, post our thoughts, etc...) has to deal with. They hide behind anonymity, puffed up by their own foolish remarks. Such wit! Such insight!

As for the comments:

1. I never said that this blog was about Oracle, or anything else. It's my blog, about my life and I'll put in it whatever I jolly well like. If you don't like it, don't read it.

2. My weight is my own issue, and a struggle. Yet, I'm a second degree black belt who can still get some air and do a butterfly kick, I think I'd surprise you as to my agility. I don't eat that much, and ride my stationary bike all the time. Because of injury and time, I've had to cut back on Karate quite a bit... Still, my BP is a nice 120/70 most of the time, thank you very much. I think I'll be around for a while yet.

3. We all die. The question is, what is waiting for us when we do? I don' t presume to judge anyone else, but I look forward to a pleasant afterlife. If it doesn't happen, well this was a nice life anyway. My kids are nearly grown now, and we are remarkably close. Even if I died tomorrow, I've provided the influence they need for the rest of their lives.

So, instead of telling others how to live their lives, why not do some good with your own. Give something back of value rather than garnish your life, and your memory, with worthlesness.

17 comments:

Don Burleson said...

Hi Robert,

Well said. We know who some of the evil people are, while others go to great lengths to hide their identity. As Janet says, there is no reconciling with evil and these are “just mean people” with no hope of redemption or reconciliation.

These creeps think that their twisting of facts and gratuitous insults (e.g. "this would be funny if it weren’t so sad") somehow condemn us, but in-reality their evil motives are apparent to all who read their twisted nonsense.

I get lots of e-mail from folks who are too dignified to enter these “furballs” (as you call them) saying that they have lost all respect for those people.

For example, they know that we must obfuscate data from our clients to protect their privacy and they hurl accusations (like those offensive allegations that we are dishonest and fabricate evidence).

That’s what lawyers are for. In the book “Web Stalkers”, Andert and I devoted a whole chapter to “the illusion of anonymity”.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/consultant_data_obfuscation_privacy_falsification.htm

I agree, we should always take the high-road; honor and integrity speaks for itself, and inappropriate and unprofessional insults reflect more on the evil nature of the “experts” than upon us.

Our new forum guidelines should ensure that we don’t get sucked into places where these evil people hang-out:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/consultant_forum_guidelines.htm

Like you said:

“Give something back of value rather than garnish your life, and your memory, with worthlesness.”

Anonymous said...

Robert,
I agree with you that some of the comments on your previous entries were hurtful and ill-intentioned. However, I don't think anonymity has anything to do with evil. It is what it is - people unwilling to reveal their identity, for whatever reason. Nothing more.

Robert G. Freeman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robert G. Freeman said...

Anonymous,

Note that I cited three characteristics that made the evil person evil.

I personally feel that Anonymous posts have their place. For example I have no problem with anonymous posts from people posing legitimate, honest questions, that they might otherwise feel embarrassed to pose (this happens often in technical forums).

In fact, your post doesn't bother me. You were mater of fact, didn't abuse me, and simply stated your opinion. I have no issues with this.

As Don has pointed out in his comments, anonymity has often breached etiquette, and has frequently been hostile and unprofessional. There is no room anywhere for such things in my opinion.

Bottom line is, a part of the net lacks maturity, self-discipline or a respect for basic etiquette, fairness and kindness. Instead, there are those who take advantage of this medium (the internet) to abuse people. If a poster wants to tag abuse with a name, then I think that you should be free to do so, indeed I support their right too.

To say such things and be anonymous is, in my opinion, the act of a coward and an evil person.

Without self-discipline there can be no self-government - Paul Harvey.

Good Day!

Robert

Robert G. Freeman said...

I wanted to add one more thing to this issue....

I can remove the posts in question. I asked myself if I should. I think though, that these posts are perfect examples of evil present on the net, and they are perfect examples. So, they stay.

In the future, I reserve the right to carefully consider and remove such posts if they serve no value. I abhor censorship. I detest it.

Still, this is *my* blog, not a public forum. So, I shall exercise my right to censor evil posts in the future. Just as I can decide what to let into my house, I will decide who to allow on my blog.

If I remove a post, I will make a comment indicating such and indicate why I removed it.

Robert

Peter K said...

Robert,
I don't think you need to have all three to be considered "evil"

1. The posts were anonymous.
2. The posts were unkind and out of context.
3. The posts were presumptuous, at best.

For example a person could be evil even though his identity is known (e.g. The Green River Killer in Washington State).

Anonymity has its usefulness and like everything else, abuses and mis-use are there. For those who misuse or abuses it, the other folks are smart enough to know and ignore.

Don Burleson said...

Robert,

Evil people are also frightened lurkers, afraid to reveal their true identity.

Take "Peter K." for example. Before we banned him for nasty behavior he was "Sami B.".

Both monikers imply a "real name" but only a coward hides their identity. I'll bet that there is a really, really good reason why "Peter K." is using a faked name.

Peter K said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robert G. Freeman said...

I have removed Peters comments. Peter's comments were in no way rude or off-color, but I've decided it was best to remove them.

It shall be the policy of this blog, where possible, to not allow consecutive anonymous posts on the same topic (thus, Peter is free to post one anonymous post on another of my blog topics, not this one). Any other posts should be topical to that post, and not reference another post or they will be removed. There is no first amendment right on my blog, this is the kingdom of Robert, benevolent King and ruler.

I have made my feelings clear with regards to anonymous posts, and I feel that while there might be occasions to warrant such posts, this is not the place.

It shall be the policy of this blog to remove any posts that contain personal insults, words that are in bad taste (defined by words I would not allow my 12 year old daughter hear, much less say) or anything inflammatory for the sake of inflammation. :-D

If one wishes to protect ones identity by being anonymous, thats fine and I respect that. However, please respect the anonymous post policy of my blog.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Robert,

Since you allow one anonymous post per blog, here's mine - and please note I am NOT Peter_K, just wanna be upfront about that. Given your policy, why is Don Burleson's comment here? It is nothing but inflammatory, and seems to go against your policy. BTW, I happen to agree with your general assessment of the inconsiderate git that left you those comments. As you say, it is YOUR blog and you can write about whatever you like. Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to read it OR comment on it.

Anonymous said...

An interesting viewpoint of yours but from what I understand you wrote some very politically slanted content might have made some people mad. Some people love the current administration others think very differently. When you broadcast your political leanings then you have to expect to take your medicine.

Robert G. Freeman said...

Anonymous,

>> but from what I understand you
>> wrote some very politically
>> slanted content might have made
>> some people mad.

You UNDERSTAND? You come and make a comment without first educating yourself as to what I have actually said. You remind me of the folks I hear on talk radio who call up, arguing about something when they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Read the darned blog, then tell me what you think.

>> When you broadcast your political >> leanings then you have to expect >> to take your medicine.
Why? Since when did the first amendment ever apply to blogging, and when did it say that I have to allow comments on my blog, anonymous or not?

There is no constitutional right for you, or anyone else, to comment on my blog. That I allow comments is my choice, and at my leisure. I would never presume to tell you how you need to manage your blog.

I respect that you have an opinion, I also respectfully tell you that in this case your opinion is neither correct or informed.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robert G. Freeman said...

A second post from the same anonymous user has been removed.

Myles2Go said...

Hi. I noticed you are looking for "LDS Technical People". Does that mean you only hire techies of a certain religion?

Myles2Go said...

Hi. I noticed you are looking for "LDS Technical People". Does that mean you only hire techies of a certain religion?

Robert Freeman said...

*I* am not hiring LDS Technical people, the *CHURCH* is. Please see http://www.ldschurch.org/jobs for more information. A requirement for employment is that you are a member of the LDS Church.

 
Subscribe in a reader